




It's been a great summer so far-- can you believe it's already almost July??? We celebrated Bob's b-day and Father's day. He (and the kids) are loving the hammock that he got. He also survived another summer of scout camp. While he was gone, we played a lot at home with friends, neighbors and cousins.
Yesterday was a particularly momentous day for us (well, as monumental as anything gets in the summertime): Isaac FINALLY decided to ride his bike, and Oliver had his first experience with the sprinklers and slip-and -slide. As much as Bob hates the damage it does to his lush green lawn (and source of all his pride and joy), we have way too much fun with the slip-and-slide on hot summer days. Oliver was okay with it until we took him through the sprinkler part of it. It was hard to get any modest pictures of the event since he was only wearing his birthday suit, but here's the best decent one I took.
Now, about the bike... I can admit to being slightly stubborn at times, and it is a trait my dear children have picked up on as well. Over two years ago we bought Isaac a new bike (Spiderman no less), which he loved for about a week until he left it in the drive-way (which he was expressly told NOT to do), and lost a training wheel as a casualty. I (being a somewhat stubborn, but wanting to teach my child a valuable lesson), refused to buy him new training wheels. What a better time to learn to ride a two-wheeler!? Isaac (being a somewhat "determined" child), refused to ever ride his bike again. Over the last two years I have tried many ways to persuade (manipulate/bribe/force) Isaac to give it a try. It finally worked yesterday. One of his friends came over on his bike wanting to play. I told Isaac he could get out of doing his chores if he would spend 30 minutes learning to ride a bike with his friend. He chose chores. So, I tried again. I promised him if I let go of the bike or let him get hurt during that time, I would give him a whole box of fruit snacks. Reluctantly, he consented. After a few wobbly runs down the street Isaac asks "You'll give me a WHOLE box of fruit snacks if you let go?" "Yep" "Okay, let go." "What?" "Let go!" and away he rode, just like I knew he would if he would just trust me. Did I leave it at that? No, of course not. Our subsequent conversation went something like this: "Isaac, repeat after me: My Mommy is always right. She has me try new things because she loves me. I will never say again 'I can't do it' when something is hard. I will forever more say 'I CAN DO IT!'"
Isaac was happy to comply. He has spent the last two days outside riding (even though his bike is a little small for him now). Ahhh, victory is sweet! Did I mention that in addition to being stubborn, I can be slightly prideful at times?

Wahoo! That's so exciting he learned to ride his bike! For me when Ben learned to ride his bike it was exciting like the day he rolled over, the day he started crawling and the day he started walking. Riding a bike is this amazing freedom for him. I remember how excited it was when I learned to ride a bike.
ReplyDeleteIt's exciting and bittersweet when our children have milestones like this. When Ben started rolling over as a baby I thought, "wow, he can get somewhere without me (although not very fast). How sad." And then he started crawling, walking, then running. Now he can ride a bike and get places quite quickly. Next big movement milestone? Driving!!! Fortunately that won't be for a while.
LOL!! I love it, fruit snacks!
ReplyDeleteDude, we are SO alike, so are Joshua & Isaac, plus Addie and Anna could get pass as sisters too.
Love it!