Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I have a confession: I'm a clinically insane couponer


It started suddenly and innocently enough. On our family's quest to become "creatively frugal," we took out four subscriptions to the Sunday newspaper and became avid readers of http://www.grocerysmarts.com/ and http://www.pinchingyourpennies.com/

Well, today I got a lot of double coupon coupons from Alberstons and got really really creative. Here's a look at what I got all for $17.47:
5 bags of Jet puffed marshmallows

5 boxes of Honey Maid grahams

5 6-bar packs of Hershey chocolate bars

4 bottles of Kraft BBQ sauce

4 bottles of Kraft salad dressing

6 boxes of Hefty one-zip freezer bags

5 Marie Calender Al Dente frozen entrees

4 4-packs of Dannon Activa yogurts

2 boxes of Triscuts

3 boxes of Kraft Bagelfuls

1 bottle French's mustard

5 cans of Edge shaving gel

4 lbs hamburger

3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast

I saved over $150, meaning I spent only 11.4% of what these groceries should cost!
I had this weird high, like I had just robbed a bank, when I drove home with my trunk full of groceries.

So, yes, I'll admit we're insane, but it's worth it!
Bob even has a support group at work called "The Coupon-y"
Thanks ladies for putting up with him ;)

7 comments:

  1. What program do you use? Or do you just put it together by yourself? I use grocerysmarts, but I am looking around for other programs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I mostly use grocery smarts (thanks to you Jen), but I look around at other blogs occasionally, and the PYP forums. This one I mostly put together myself-- with A LOT of double coupons-- I mostly looked at which coupons were $1 off or more on items I knew were close to $2. I tried to get as many things for free as possible (that we would use), so I was basically paying sales tax and little more

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOLY COW! that is unbelievable, are you sure that's legal? My sister has recently gotten into this too and is loving it. I just get one paper, should I get more? is it totally worth it? I miss you and the ward, how is it going? who is the new secretary?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We miss you too Eliza! Shauna Westegard is our new sectretary. Anyway... if you can get one set of coupons for each person in your family-- it can be totally worth it. If you read on grocerysmarts.com they explain it all. Oh- we are having an Enrichment on Jun 16th that at 630pm that will have a coupon class-- I'm sure everyone would LOVE to see you if you came to crash!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your money saving tips inspired me to do a huge project on eating healthy on a budget for my internship. Well, I won't be including the marshmallow and chocolate part but it gave me a few good ideas. You are great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am addicted to deals. I think I already told you that. I've been doing it since before even grocery smarts. I learned it from my mom. Anyway, sometimes I feel like a dork for how excited I get about the deals I get. But oh well.

    Isn't it a bummer that Albertson's closed? The deals just aren't as amazing elsewhere.

    P.S. I love that you have a blog, so I can stalk you!

    ReplyDelete