Thursday, May 28, 2009

Do you love your goat?










Bob sure loved this one. Too bad we're not zoned for goats here in Bountiful :(




Monday we went to This Is The Place Heritage Park here in Salt Lake (where the pioneers first arrived). It seemed fitting as a Memorial Dayactivity, plus we've always wanted to go there. I was a little worried that it would be too boring for the kids (anything dry and historical is exciting for Bob), but it was awesome and the kids LOVED it and so did we. We were there for over five hours and still didn't see everything. There was a ton of traditional building going on (that I think any of my family would love to learn). One of the few real tinsmiths in the U.S. works his craft in Heritage Village. There was also rope making, wood carving, a tailor and cobbler, hat making, furniture-maker’s shop, newspaper print shop, and the saddlery. There were also women carding wool and spinning it into yarn, weaving, and making lace. Not to mention the Native American village and tons more.
The kids got to see all of these things, but also got to help with pioneer type chores (like Isaac beating the rug-- I think I'm going to get rid of my vacuum now). They attended mock school, and road the trains (named "Jupiter" and the "119" after the two trains that met at Promontory point), but Isaac chickened out of getting a straight edge shave by the barber/dentist/surgeon. But they worked leather, made snake toys and marbles, played pioneer games and dances, rode ponies, made arrow head necklaces . . . and I don't know what else, but it was a blast! It was also Baby animal day-- which is where the goat came in (were you wondering?). Addie was pretty attached to the lambs and Isaac loved the bunnies. Great day--

No comments:

Post a Comment